Saturday, August 08, 2009

Cambodia Trip Planning – The Flight

The dates are set for the Cambodia trip: October 30th to November 20th 2009. Looks like I’ll be an airline passenger for Halloween this year. Doesn’t get much more terrifying than that!

Looking around the various flight booking websites, it looks like the cheapest and fastest way is to take a Horizon Air shuttle from Portland (PDX) to SeaTac (SEA) then get on an Asiana Airlines flight (maybe my first Boeing 777?) to Seoul (ICN) and finally in to Phnom Penh (PHN). Total travel time is about 24 hours, but since I’ll be going east, local time to local time with be about 41 hours. That will be a new record for me. Naturally taking the train or even driving (leaving my car with a friend) up to Seattle was considered, but it turns out that the time added vs. money saved comparison was a wash and the convenience of just checking our bags at PDX won out. Checking the old Beer Lover’s Airport Guide, it seems like the Seattle Taproom in Concourse B is where I’ll be waiting for my connection.

Kayak.com was search engine of choose for this trip. It was my first time really using it and I really liked its functionality, search options and chart of historical flight prices around the date of my trip. Normally, I would take the flight information I liked and go directly to the airlines which usually get me a better deal, but in this case Steve booked everything through a travel agent friend of his. I was happy to learn, however, that my method yielded the same flight for the same price.

No comments: